Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

So, I am pretty certain that I am one of the last people on planet earth that has read this book. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it. It's one of those books like Gone Girl or the Throne of Glass series that everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has seemed to already have read. Even little old ladies getting their hair blow dried have read this, under the false pretense of staying current on what their grandchildren are raving about when, in all actuality, they enjoy the story line. They covet it and race, literally race, on their electronic scooters into the nearest book store to buy the newest installment. Is it sad that my mother is reading Throne of Glass before me? MY MOTHER!! Who said she could not get into it, but is now devouring it like I devour gum...or M&Ms...or Shadow and Bone!

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)I picked up a copy of Shadow and Bone in November and why it took me this long to get to it, I shall never know. Maybe if I could go back just a few short months and watch myself picking it up in the bookstore, I could pop over a shelf and scream at my past self "You will read this book NOW!", but alas, I cannot.

Leigh Bardugo has created a masterpiece in this YA fantasy with her magical world of Ravka where war rages and Grisha power threatens to overpower the king. The novel follows Alina, our young protagonist who has only known orphaned life with her best friend Mal since she was a young girl. As she and Mal prepare to enter the Fold, a mysterious darkness that separates Ravka in two, a long suppressed power comes to light (pun intended), forcing her from the only life she has ever known and into the magical world of the Grisha.

Life at a palace, a warm bed, delicious food, glorious silks, and the attention of a mysterious, handsome man; what more could a girl ask for? But life at the Little Palace is far from what Alina has imagined and she must learn to control her powers before a terrible plot to further divide Ravka can be fulfilled.

I loved this book! Leigh Bardugo has crafted excellent, well-rounded characters and a plot that has no slow moments. I was continually turning the page, desperate to read more. If you are anything like me and have the rule of finishing a chapter before you put the book down, YOU CAN THROW THAT OUT THE WINDOW RIGHT NOW! There is no putting this book down. No running to the store, eating, sleeping, or conversation PERIOD! There is, unfortunately, working. Imagine how awkward it would be to call off to finish a book....Along with great characters and a quick pace, I found the world of Ravka completely engrossing. Granted we did not get a complete description of Ravka, it made me want to know more and I am eagerly anticipating starting Siege and Storm.

Genre: YA Fantasy
Positives: I really enjoyed the whole book, but the thing that stood out for me was the quick pace and the romance. *Swoon* It was refreshing to not read an instalove that made me outwardly cringe!
Negatives: My only TINY critique is that I felt the world of Ravka could be expanded on a bit more.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

2 comments: