Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Scarlet Pimpernel Review

Seven and a half years after first coming into contact with this book, I read the entire thing! I started The Scarlet Pimpernel in high school, but never got around to finishing and set a goal for myself that I would finally read it this month and honestly, I have no idea why I waited so long! The book is full of suspense, intrigue, and a revolution!

The Scarlet Pimpernel is set in 1792 France and Britain during the time of the French Revolution. During the French Revolution, the peasants of France were tired of the ruling monarchy and arrogant aristocrats and introduced the guillotine to deal with this problem. Many aristocrats were beheaded every single day, including the king of France, Louis XVII and his wife, Marie Antoinette. The book focuses on a mysterious figure known only as the Scarlet Pimpernel, who risks their life to save these aristocrats and deliver them safely to England.

Marguerite Blakeney, a former French actress, is settling into married life with Sir Percy Blakeney, the biggest dim wit in England, when she is forced to make the ultimate decision: loyalty to her brother or betray her hero, the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Overall, I enjoyed this classic because of the historical aspect and the ever-moving plot, but I did feel it had its shortcomings. I did not sympathize with Marguerite at all and found myself wishing for a dual perspective just to deal with her. The identity of the Scarlet Pimpernel was predictable and, after the reveal, the disguises they were in was predictable as well.

Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment