Friday, December 12, 2014

My True Love Gave to Me Review

Wondering the aisles of my local B&N in November, I soon spotted the object of my query. That would be.......My True Love Gave to Me, a compilation of twelve different holiday stories. I am SUCH a Christmas person and was super excited about reading this to get me more in the spirit (as if I need any help) and was overall not disappointed. I originally set out to read one story a day until I finished, but because the authors are so different I had to keep reading! Many of the stories were among the same script (it IS about the same time of year afterall) and the instances of insta-love were, at times, quite unbearable, but writing styles hooked me in!

Most of the stories in this compilation were very enjoyable, my favorites being Midnights by Rainbow Rowell, The Lady and the Fox by Kelly Link, and Star of Bethlehem by Ally Carter.The last two I wish would have been actual novels, but all good things MUST come to an end.

Unfortunately, my least favorite short story, which was The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer by Laini Talor, was situated at the very end and left somewhat of a bad aftertaste, almost like taking a huge gulp of sweet tea to be hit with the tanginess of lemon at the end.

Overall, I do recommend this book, especially if you are into Christmas or are looking to get more into the holiday spirit!

Positives: Different characters who were easy to read and relate to.
Negatives: Much of the same story lines and a crazy amount of insta-love!
Rating: 3 and a half out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment