Sunday, October 19, 2014

House Rules by Jodi Picoult Review

Is it over? Just like that? I just finished Jodi Picoult's rather lengthy novel House Rules and I must say, I am somewhat disappointed. After picking up Endgame: The Calling last night in my mad, frantic rush to solve all the clues and discover the keys, I realized I had to finish House Rules first. First off, I must say I thought it was terrific, with the exception of the most important part...the end! More on that to come!

House Rules tells the story of an autistic boy, Jacob, and his mother and brother, Emma and Theo. Jacob has been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, which is a high functioning level of autism. This book primarily focused on the familial dynamics. As someone who is going through a less than ideal family situation, I found the way Picoult wrote each perspective remarkably realistic.

When Jacob's social skills tutor's body is discovered, Jacob must prepare for the trial of his life, if he can convince a jury he is not a cold-blooded killer, just different. So, I race through this book and greedily absorb the court chapters fully anticipating a verdict only to be left greatly disappointed! Picoult leaves us out on a limb! Which way do we climb? Do we choose the downward path and assume Jacob will go to jail or should we go up and hope all ended up for the best? I can easily see why she did this because the book is more a focus on relationship dynamics, but it did not make me happy. Typically, I am fine with writing my own ending, as an aspiring writer, but this time, not so much! Is it too much for a little closure? On a scale of five, I am giving this book a three based purely on the fact that I did not get the answer I so desperately craved!

No comments:

Post a Comment