Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Endgame: The Calling by James Frey Review

Endgame has begun....and is finally over!

Endgame follows 12 strangers as they fight to win a mysterious game and save their lines from extinction. First of all, I must say this book is extremely familiar to The Hunger Games, only not as good.12 players, each between the ages of 13-17....let's face it, it sounds oddly similar, sort of like a book series or blockbuster movies we all know and love. However, Frey made the fatal mistake of trying to balance between 12 different people with disastrous consequences. The characters were poorly developed and the one that had a little more depth was an American with a seemingly perfect life. Why not someone else?
The writing was also pretty sloppy, in my opinion. The fight scenes, as well as most of the plot, was redundant and tedious. I literally said out loud "I cannot wait to be done with this book". And that was not meant in a good way.
The book also falls under the juvenile fiction category, which I, SURPRISE SURPRISE, have a huge problem with. Ok, the writing reflects a juvenile fiction category, but the words do not. There are several f bombs thrown throughout with scenes of bloody, intense violence. If I were a mother and knew nothing of this book, I would be extremely upset if my kid was reading this kind of book without my knowledge.

On to the positives. I really like the interactive puzzles, but must they be so difficult? I mean really. I thought this was a young people novel? I just feel like there is too much information for people to actually sit there and pour hours and hours into. I know the prize is $500,000 but it seems like they do not want this money to be won. We all are not as intellectual as the poorly developed characters in this book.

Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Positives; Unique interactive twist
Negatives: Poorly developed characters; redundant and somewhat confusing plot.
Rating:  2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment