Saturday, January 10, 2015

Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson Review

I recently judged a book by its cover. Oh, please! You all have done it! Don't lie to yourselves. Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson has an absolutely gorgeous cover! Seriously, I dare you to not pick it up to at least add a pretty addition to your bookshelves. I thought that I would fall completely in love with this book. It had the stunning cover and it had magic. What could go wrong? Plenty, as it turns out. The story is told from the perspective of Eden, a teenage girl who is entering her newest prep school after strings of accidents get her kicked out from her old ones. After waiting until about page 80 or so, we are finally told it is because she is a witch (or lambia) and an immortal who is part of a dying species. 

Per usual of a YA novel, there is a (forbidden) love interest, who just happens to be the prince, Kiran and a faithful sidekick who can transform into a tigress. Eden doesn't even seem capable of functioning without Kiran or someone else's help. The plot itself was pretty boring for me and in the beginning moved at a snail's pace! I was about to give up on it when it finally picked up slightly, but that is not really saying that much! The writing could have been better and there were grammatical errors or some phrases that just simply did not make sense. The book was not ALL awful, however. I did enjoy the character or Jericho and must know more and I also appreciate a good rebel uprising, but that were the only high points to me. 

Genre: YA Fantasy
Positives: See above. Rebel uprising=good
Negatives: Everything else. Basic characters that could not stand on their own among other things.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment